Monday, April 11, 2011

Personal Best at the "Golden Mile"


As the supportive wife of a Boston College Eagle, I participated in the MBA 5K this past weekend.  Proceeds from the race benefited The Doug Flutie Foundation for Autism .  Before the race, I had obviously heard of Doug Flutie from his football connection to BC and Massachusetts, but never put a face to the name.   If you can relate, this is what he looks like (circa 1998):


On Saturday, I had a long stare (2.5 miles worth) at Doug’s backside profile.  I kept at his heels for most of the race, and then at the hill just past the reservoir, I swept past him.  I couldn’t help but think how great it felt passing the famous QB on that challenging hill and beating him in a road race. Yes, this was a “fun run” for CHARITY, but it would give me something to talk about in my blog this week-Selfish?!  Well, a few hundred feet from the finish line, he sprinted past me—I am still coughing up the dust he left behind…

SO, the only thing I can gloat about is my Personal Best 5K time (26:00.1).

The race took place at Chestnut Hill-right at mile 21 of my upcoming race-also known as The Golden Mile.  Recent news has me looking forward to this stage in the race on Monday- Click this link from the Boston Globe Looking forward to seeing positive results for the “Mile 21 Campaign” (wink wink)!  Good luck Eagles!



No comments:

Post a Comment