Wednesday, March 2, 2011

“Music is the art of thinking with sounds.”


TRAINING UPDATE:

The past two weeks have been (and continue to be) hectic--I am finding that 24 hours in a day is just not enough time to "get it done".  My outlet for stress and where time does not seem to exist:  pavement

The Saturday before last, February 19th, I effortlessly ran just under 19 miles at an average pace of around 9:30 minutes per mile.  2/19 happened to be my best friend of 9 years- Michelle Venezia 's- 29th Birthday! That night I ate about 900 calories in Pizza and drank 900 more calories Allagash White (which is only 3 beers?)...oh wait, I already did a "numbers" posting!

With the weather calling for "storm" winds (gusts 40+mph)—I almost (purposely?) hit the snooze button!  Instead, I forced myself up and out with a playlist that could not be more in sync with the run I was about to face!

Getting started:

5AM? Turn the radio up!
Where's the rock and roll?
(pink-raise your glass)

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy. 
Put my (sun)glasses on, I’m out the door
I’m gonna hit this city!
(kei$ha-tik tok)


How could you (the almost march air) be so cold?
 As the winter wind when it breezes yo
(kanye west-heartless)


Do you ever feel like a plastic bag?  (like the plastic bags I saw floating around BC’s Campus)
Drifting through the wind-wanting to start again...
...Cause baby you're a firework! 
Come on show 'em what you're worth!

Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y
(katy perry-firework)

8 Miles down and 8 more to go:

I've been traveling
 on this road to long-Just trying to find
my way back home
Ever had one of dem days
you wish would have stayed home
(justin timberlake &t.i.--dead and gone)

Gotta give you my all

Winter and the Summer my all
(enrique iglesias-tonight)

Dear Marathon training:

Don't wanna leave you really

I've invested too much time
To give you up that easy to the doubts
that complicate MY mind.
(pat benatar-we belong remix)

Meeting new people along the way:

Do you come here much?
I swear I've seen your face before
(timberland-if we ever meet again)

I told her "I love the view from up here (Boston skyline by Star Market in Brookline)
Warm sun and wind in my ear (and at my back!)
(plain white t’s-rhythm of love)

Achieving Goals:

And since I made it here, 
I can make it anywhere…

…There’s nothing you can’t do
Now you’re in BOSTON, these streets will make you feel brand new
(jayz-empire state of mind)

Chase you down until you love me
Papa-paparazzi
(lady gaga-papa(papa)razzi)

And if the wind blows EAST 
would you follow me 

And if the wind blows NORTH 
would you stay your course 

And if the wind blows WEST 
would you second guess 

And if it flows to the SOUTH 
would you cast me out 

And if the sun don’t shine 
would you still be mine 

And if the sky turns grey 
would you walk away ...
...we can make it through the winds of change
(kid rock-lonely road of faith)



Stuck on a roller coaster

Can't get off this ride
(katy perry-hot and cold)

And I need you to remember one thing

I came, I saw, I conquered
(jayz-encore)


CELEBRATING:

I’ve had the time of my life

And I’ve never felt this way before

And I swear this is true

And I owe it all to you!
....DIRTY BIT!
(black eyed peas-the time)

Thank God the week is done
I feel like a zombie gone back to life

Hands up, and suddenly we all got our hands up
No control of my body
(usher-dj got us fallin’ in love)

Fill up my cup (Drink)
MazelTov (Le Haim)
(black eyed peas-i got a feeling)




MASS EYE AND EAR UPDATE:
Early in the training season, I had the pleasure of meeting the adorable Mark Thurrott and his courageous mother, Stephanie.  Mark was just a year old when he contracted bacterial meningitis. After a week battling the life-threatening infection, Mark returned home to recover, but the infection had completely robbed the toddler of his hearing. Mark’s young parents knew little about deafness and had never heard of a cochlear implant until they were referred to Dr. Leila Mankarious at Mass. Eye and Ear. Within weeks, Dr. Mankarious performed surgery giving Mark the first of two cochlear implants.  Now, after eleven years of follow-up audiology appointments and speech therapy, Mark goes to public school and talks to his many friends - using a cell phone!  His mom says, “Cochlear implants gave Mark back what he lost to meningitis, the opportunity to be a kid like any other kid.”

With you SUPPORT Mass Eye and Ear continues to make breakthroughs --- supporting their mission that the deaf may hear and the blind may see!  

No comments:

Post a Comment